Pages

Saturday, March 17, 2012

My groundbreaking new DVLA site

I'm not a web designer by trade, and working in the public sector my notions about the web are probably three years or so behind the rest of the internet. So, this is an opportunity for me to look deeply foolish. Here goes.

Here's the existing DVLA site at www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/ - 

interestingly, it's a microsite off the Department of Transport site, but the content pages exist on Directgov itself.

The DVLA site gives the following LHS navigation:


Then a further list when you go down a level, say, into 'Driver information' -

Driver information


Our drivers information can now be found under the Motoring section in Directgov. Directgov was created to provide all UK citizens easy access to public services in one place.  

Need a new or updated driving licence

 
The links themselves go to pages of Directgov, where you immediately lose sight of navigation options and the other DVLA links:


 
In other words, the visitor is plunged into the Directgov problem. Quite a bizarre set up, but it reflects the business relationship between a supersite and its client organisations. 

The Government Digital Service (GDS) are looking to close departmental websites as well as Directgov itself. Here's the GOV.UK Beta version, which has minimal navigation, no DVLA logos and no landing page above it:


That individual page looks nice and clear. Does it improve DVLA's service to offer motoring information as atomised units rather than belonging to a hierarchy which visitors can easily grasp?

I expect the people from DVLA have an opinion. I'll see if I can get hold of any.

4 comments:

  1. I've just stumbled across nidirect.gov.uk which is the Northern Ireland version of DirectGov (and of www.gov.uk).

    It's much, much better than either! I don't know why I'm surprised by that.

    I wonder who built it? It seems to pre-date the GDS. They should have just adopted this as a template.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The NI assembly. Yes, it's the classic 'less is more' anti-synergy of the government supersite - fewer goals, fewer hired guns, less money makes a way better website.

    Thanks for your continued visits Slabman I will try to get back to updating this sooner or later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey - thanks for the blog and for voicing what I'm sure many feel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exeter Express who reported this news this week has also explained that the action by the DVLA Number has been described as 'heavy handed'.

    ReplyDelete